How work defines you. Changing careers for motherhood | West Village : How work defines you. Changing careers for motherhood

Saturday 31 January 2015

How work defines you. Changing careers for motherhood

Image: mrragget.files.wordpress.com
I went to the Grayson Perry 'Who Are You?' exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery this week and it could not have come at a better time. A few days before, I'd suffered a wobble and began questioning my choices, mainly that of leaving behind a 24-7 full-on career to spend more time with my family.

The rhythm of office life is pretty ubiquitous the world over and I for one danced to to the beat of the corporate drum quite happily for almost 20 years. Those years were spent in meetings, writing proposals, setting goals, lunching, managing budgets and being answerable to people more senior than I. Now it's gone and I think I'm having what I can only described as a corporate come-down.

The familiarity of photocopiers, post rooms, stationary cupboards, security tags, tea rounds and IT help desks made for a comfortable, structured daily existence amongst the stresses of the actual work, not to mention the welcome receipt of a regular pay cheque.

My son is great company, but on the odd days he's having a two year old's episode, I can't help but think, "I don't have to be doing this, I could be at work, at least I know who I am there." At work there is a code of conduct, at home, I'm winging it all day long.

Grayson Perry spoke to me. His self-portait entitled 'A Map of Days' hooked me in and hasn't let me go. Perry describes the sense of 'self' as "a forming and reforming of one's identity...a lifelong shifting performance." I found the fluidity, the honesty and ordinariness of Perry's references reassuring and profoundly relaxing. I felt as if I'd met a soul mate that day. 'Map of Days' depicts the internal and external struggles he faces day to day that are wrapped up in his past, present and future. In parts it looks like he's wrangling, almost wrestling with his own self and in other parts, he has conviction and confidence.

Image: gerryco23.com.files.wordpress.com
I've always been fascinated with identity which is undoubtedly a by-product of being born into a first generation Chinese immigrant family, brought up in Wales and educated at one the country's most exclusive public schools. My hard-working, confident, socially mobile self didn't do too badly in life but rightly or wrongly, my job was the key driver to my happiness.

For many years my sense of self has been built on climbing a rigid corporate ladder but since becoming a mother my disciplined path to 'success' has had its far share of diversions. The A&E scares, the sleeplessness,  the childcare costs, it's a great leveller. Best laid plans often don't amount to much and the chores get so out of control that it's laughable but we're a happy family so it's good enough.

The come-down was inevitable, I've been institutionalised for two decades. This is Lynn Li Version 2.0 . I am in no way less driven, if anything, I have become more so but with a different set of measures, validation is not one of them.

Reinvention is lifelong and can be turbulent. You can't escape it so you may as well drink it up for all it's worth. I've given myself the opportunity to redefine who I am. Lucky me.

Thanks Grayson, you're a diamond geezer.





4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Great post.I think about this a lot... (many unresolved debates at home over whether to keep my career or make a life change)

West Village Wanderer said...

Thanks for reading. I change my mind day to day as to whether I should go back to work. Also having 'unresolved debates' about whether to have another baby...which is sure to cement the end of my career as I know it.
x

Unknown said...

A great Post and definitely a common debate amongst mothers. I am now a mum of two pre-school kids and after 17 years working in Canary Wharf, I've swapped the structured office life you describe - which I do love - for a house in Somerset and working from home. I know that my career will be on the back burner as I'm not in the office "being seen". I know very few people here in the South West and every so often I wonder if I should ditch the job and concentrate on doing one job properly - kids, rather than muddling through two.
I look forward to reading more of your posts.

West Village Wanderer said...

Thanks Helen, I totally get you. Im not sure that ditching the job was ever a real option for me as I know in my heart of hearts I wouldn't enjoy full time parenting as I am so used to my independence...hence this blog and the a bit of freelancing. We've thought about Somerset a number of times...its beautiful there x

01 ; 04 var bs_pinButtonPos = "center"; 05 var bs_pinPrefix = ""; 06 var bs_pinSuffix = ""; 07 //]]> 08 10